Saturday, August 15, 2009

GNAR GNAR

i went mountain biking for the first time ever today. i mean ever ever. i've never even ridden a mountain bike around the city, never owned one. hell, i've only owned 2 bikes that had gears and those were just bar bikes. anyways, got a call from a bro this afternoon wondering if i'd be down to go mountain biking, like real deal mountain biking. i was pretty stoked to try it out so i agreed even though i knew i'd be in over my head. there was a 3 man posse that included two vets (matt & snowman) and a rookie (me). started our 3 mile ascend at around 7:20 and got to the top around 8:00. pedaling up hill was hard, my butt was instantly sore and my legs are apparently useless. got a rad cramp in my calf and almost puked up the pulled pork sandwich i had for lunch. the sun was nearly setting by the time we got to the top and we were in some pretty thick woods so visibility wasn't that great which added to my stress about what i had got myself into. the vets gave me some tips on braking and body positioning, which probably went in one ear and out the other because about 200 yards into the descend i endo'd and body checked a tree with the collar bone that i broke 3 years ago. i got a little spooked but hopped back on the bike, charged, and then ate shit again probably a few 100 feet down the trail. in all, i probably wrecked like 4.5 times. some crashes involved getting bucked off the trail by roots & rocks or just flying down trail face first. i'm told that this wasn't a very tough trail but the lack of light, my inexperience, and trying to impress the vets with pathetic attempts at mobbing are probably why i beat the hell out of myself and the bike. after safely returning to the truck i was informed that the bike i had been running into trees or flipping over costs something shy of $5K. jeebus. high fives, burgers, and beers were had in fall city. rad time dudes, thanks! here's some pics:

getting ready to drop-in


halfway down. pic w/no flash (rueffnkiddinme?). note glow-in-the-dark legs.


same shot as above but with a flash


the only reason i look kinda tough in this pic is because i spent 10 minutes drying my tears with my shirt.




in other news: got a summer jamzzzz cd from T&H the other day and i finally gave it a listen today. purdy durn good dudes. THANKS!!!! #'s 9 to 12 (i think) are my favorites so far.


time for bed, got to get up in 4 hours to go hit the rivers for opening day of SALLYMON SEASON!!! man the Pacific NW is pretty damn mega.

No comments: